19 July 2009

Just Another Weekend

Today, Jeff & I went to a local farmer's market in the town of Hardwick (15 minutes away). We like to support local farmers by purchasing their produce. We bought some tomatoes, cucumbers, blueberries, broccoli, green & yellow beans and 2 dozen eggs.


Why so many eggs? Well, our girls are producing about 6 to 8 eggs a week and we eat them as soon as they come. So on a weekend when we want to bake and there is only 2-3 eggs left... that just isn't enough. I made eggs for breakfast, some hard boiled eggs for lunch, we use them in baking (Jeff makes a good creme brulee and now he wants to try flan - thanks Chris!), you need 2 yolks for homemade ice cream, 2 eggs for the homemade mayonnaise that Jeff just tried, and then there's breakfast for the week ahead! Eggs are so yummy! I also made some homemade mozzarella cheese today! It is so good. I needed to practice before our friends (the Steichs) come for a visit!

Then we worked outside for a bit - Jeff is making a tarp top for the chicken's new portable coop. Yes, I said new and yes, I'll be posting pictures soon and telling that whole story later. I was working in the garden a bit harvesting lettuce(leaf lettuce & romaine), beets, snap peas, and raspberries. I made a big old salad for our week ahead of us. You can't forget to make the homemade bread! (no knead bread recipe from Mother Earth News) We are so thankful to have a weekend filled with sun after a non-stop rainy June. I hope you had a wonderful weekend too!