08 March 2010

Spring can't get here soon enough!

I (Kelly) started some seeds a few weekends ago. The broccoli and onions took forever to grow last year so I'm starting them early. I'm re-reading some of my garden books and looking up new information on-line; I can not wait to get the garden going. I'm especially excited about pruning the raspberries this year and getting a lot more berries in the years to come.

Today was 48 degrees, sunny, with a slight breeze... we'll take it! Jeff and I went outside and started up our spring projects. Time to clean the tools, prune some bushes, and enjoy the nice weather. One of our bigger projects that we are working on is adding stone to our vegetable garden area. We are taking stone from our driveway and filling the spaces between the boxes. We plan on re-stoning our driveway with a different kind of stone so the old stone should work out nicely in the gardens. It's a lot of hard work so it might take us a couple of months to get it finished.
We also decided its time for the chickens to be back outside again. We had them in the garage to keep them protected from the snow and bad weather conditions over the winter. (Yeah, they're spoiled) Jeff took care of cleaning the coop, I took their bedding (pine shavings) out to our compost pile and one by one the chickens were back to home-sweet-outside-home. They are all so happy to be back outside!
Well... almost all of them. Sushi is broody again.
Anyway, having the girls outside gave us the opportunity to clean out the garage and the shed. Yup, we'll take more nice days like these!